We are seeking an experienced and innovative Special Education Coordinator who is excited to work in a unique charter school environment and who has a deep appreciation for At-Promise Youth ages 14-22. We expect our teachers and staff to be leaders and to play an active role in realizing the school’s mission by building and shaping our school culture. Sustainable Futures teachers and staff will implement a high-quality, rigorous academic program that includes developing project-based, interdisciplinary units that lead students to demonstrate their understanding creatively and in a hands-on manner.
We are looking for a candidate who has experience in progressive Special Education and a solid understanding of the academic as well as social and emotional development of At-Promise students.
Responsibilities will include:
- Oversee the development of Sustainable Futures’ Special Education program
- Actively participate in finding students eligible for special education services, as well as creating and maintaining students’ Individualized Education Programs (IEPs), including writing and monitoring individual student goals
- Serve as the main point of contact with the DC Public Charter School Board OSSE, and all Specialized Instruction systems and databases
- Act as LEA representative for all IEP and Eligibility meetings
- Provide differentiated instructional coaching and professional development for all special education teachers and instructional leaders in order to:
- Cultivate a data-driven culture
- Observe special education teachers and provide specific strategies for improved instructional delivery and behavior management
- Provide staff development
- Ensure appropriate delivery of special education instruction and related services as stipulated on IEPs
- Ensure that the school is in full compliance with federal and state and local special education laws
- Participate in extensive professional development activities, internal and external.
- Maintain frequent communication with students, students’ families, colleagues, and other educational stakeholders
- Collaborate with school instructional and student support staff to develop innovative programming to support students with special needs
- Support long-term planning and implementation of life skills and behavior programs
- Collaborate with Head of School, the Director of Curriculum and Instruction and the Director of Finance and Operations to determine appropriate resources and support for special education teachers and students
- Work with the Head of School and the Director of Curriculum and Instruction to make special education instructional decisions based on student performance
- Secure external resources, professional development and materials to support special education teachers
- Analyze student achievement and behavioral data at the individual student, school, and organization level
- Ensure appropriate implementation of 504 plans by the school and compliance with all 504 legislation
- Ensure that services provided by outside providers are of high quality and aligned with students’ IEPs
- Appraises his/her own effectiveness, seeks opportunities for professional growth, and demonstrates successful application of new skills and strategies in order to improve professional competence
The ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree and Master’s degree required, including a degree in Special Education
- At least three years of Secondary Special Education experience
- Experience with management and/or coaching special education teachers
- Professional demeanor, strong work ethic, and excellent organizational skills
- Experience with and passion for pedagogical practices grounded in constructivism, project-based learning and the multiple intelligences Experience developing interdisciplinary units and lessons using “backwards design” curriculum development tools
- Experience working with diverse populations, including English language learners and students with special needs
- Familiarity with urban education issues, preferably direct experience with inner-city students and families
Benefits and Compensation
- Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
- As a regular full time employee of Sustainable Futures Public Charter School, you will be eligible for benefits that include medical, dental and vision, as well as a generous retirement benefit package.
- Staff members are provided with laptops and access to all the necessary technology and resources needed to succeed in their work.